Jonathan

Monday, May 01, 2006

I´d walk a mile for a Llama!




I´m coming up on my second week in Cusco, altitude 11,100ft. What an experience! It´s easy to see why the Incans picked this city as the site for their almighty capitol. I´ve encolsed some pictures in my Cusco posts that show some of my new friends...they´re around 600 yrs old! Yeah, you guessed it; the Egyptians weren´t the only ones who had mummies. One shot shows me drinking a "Cusquena," which is the local beer. Drinks and food are relatively cheap in Peru...I´ve yet to try the cuy, guinea pig, a local delicacy.

This week is my second week at Excell Spanish Language School. Slowly but surely my Spanish is getting better. I´ve seen several ruins: Tipon, Coricancha, Puca Pucara, and the famous Sacsayhuaman which sits above Cuzco. The Incans were truely master craftsmen with their avant guard brick laying capabilities. The pictures that I´ve included can not compare to seeing the real thing.

On Thurs, May 4th I begin the much anticipated 4 day hike on the Incan Trail to Machu Picchu.